Mar 9, 2013

Vanilla On Top (Walk on the Wild Side #1) by C.J. Ellisson


Buy the Book:
AMAZON

Author*s Web-Page:
C. J. Ellisson
C. J. Ellisson on GR
C. J. Ellisson on FACEBOOK

Genre:

Contemporary Romance/ Adult Fiction

Summary on Goodreads:

Discover your inner bad girl, and set her free…

Heather Pierce is done being a wallflower, both personally and professionally. Desperate to live a different life for one night, she attends a speed dating event. Maybe here, anonymous unless she chooses otherwise, she can become someone new. When a man way out of her league sits across from her, Heather gathers her courage and takes charge of what she wants, secretly fearing he won’t desire the real person she’s desperate to hide.

Top acquisitions officer and international playboy Tony Carmine is about to close the biggest deal of his career. But then he meets Heather at a speed dating event…and discovers losing control may be exactly what he needs. Her blossoming sensuality occupies his every thought, consuming him with the need to possess the most intriguing lover he’s ever encountered—until he walks into the boardroom and sees Heather on the other side of the negotiating table.

 
*** MY REVIEW***


You know what I want more than anything?” he says 
with a touch of longing. “I want someone else to take control for a while. I’m really sick of being the guy in charge all the time.” I smile, not particularly sure I can relate, but willing to appear understanding. His phone rings again and sharp anger stabs my gut. “Turn it off,” I say, with a challenge in my tone. I sit up straighter and stare into the depths of his caramel eyes. “You want someone to tell you what to do?” He nods, his calculating gaze on me as the phone continues to ring. “Turn off that damn phone,” I bite out, pretending I’m issuing a command. “Now.”

So, what happens when the girl puts the "innocent"glasses aside, takes over control and lets loose her inner beast  in... the bedroom?3;)

My hands slide to my hips and I take the plunge, pouring every ounce of courage I possess into my next actions. I grab my skirt’s black material and work it slowly up my thighs. Tony’s eyes grow round as he follows my movements. “Get down on your knees”...

I slide my skirt down my hips, smoothing the creases out with the flat of my hand. “You did a good job.” Tony smiles and reaches for me, but I side step out of his grasp. “Next time might be your turn.”





No, this isn*t another hardcore S&M novel, the story is actually pretty sweet, but it is about sexual awakening of a young woman called Heather Pierce, in her mid-twenties, working as an assistant in an advertising company. I picked this book up, because I reached my limit when it comes to dark, emotional & heatwrenching books- my favorite type and this time what I really needed was a fun & easy read. So I saw this book on Amazon, got distracted by the cover as usual :), plus all these high ratings and then I read the blurb and thought to myself: this is it!!! Finally some book were the woman takes control and...the paddle and use it on a guy instead of the other way around! It was high time really, because since Fifty Shades Of Grey Trilogy everyone seems to be writing about these innocent, lip-biting & blushing virgins who fall in love with these hot, psychotic, over-possessive & fucked-up billionaires who take them for their first date to their playrooms & "deflower" them in every possible way. 

I don't know about you, but I really got bored with this "best-seller formula" and was starting to ask myself why couldn't a woman be the dominant one for a change, why does it always have to be the guy? I think that we're more than capable, don't you?:) So Heather is your normal type of girl, a bit shy and insecure with trust issues. She doesn*t have a boyfriend, had a couple not so great relationships and feels lonely, so she and her friend decide to go to...speed dating. Yes, you read well- S P E E D  D A T I N G!!! My first reaction was smth like this:

I mean, come on- speed dating? Do people really do that? People in their mid-twenties? It seems unbelievable to me that you could really meet someone on these events, but o.k., I don*t remember that I ever read a book were the couple actually meets on speed dating, so I decided to give it a shot.

I probably don’t have a snowball’s chance in hell of attracting his attention. I wish I had something prettier on. This slim black skirt and snug spring sweater might emphasize my build nicely, but 
I’m betting it will take cleavage and a lot of leg to attract a man like him.



What am I really doing here? Sure, I might have a chance of meeting a guy for a midnight hook-up, but really…speed dating? Makes me wonder—what’s wrong with these guys if 
they can’t find a date on their own? 

And here comes the tall, sexy and gorgeous- Tony Carmine. The minute she sets her eyes on him, she knows that she has to have him, so she starts to plan how to win him over in 2 minutes all the participants on speed dating get to meet someone (again- 2 MINUTES!!! How is that even possible!!!) He seems way out of her league and she's sure that the shy, easily intimidated and in her opinion kind of monotone and boring Heather could never win a guy like him, so she decides that the best chance she has to win this guy is to act in a totally not-Heather kind of way.

Ten minutes. All you need is ten minutes. Can I talk my way through this? Well, why the hell not? If he follows me out here then I’ve definitely intrigued him enough to learn more about me. But how do I set myself apart from the countless women who’ve probably already thrown themselves at him?


 I want nothing more than to tell him to take me right here—to beg this gorgeous man to do me until I scream his name—but a part of my brain still holds on to the act. I bet he can have any woman he wants any time. I need to stand out from the others. For once, I want to be the desired one.

It is such a rush calling the shots. I like this new me, or at least, this pretend new me. What would a strong bitch who likes sex do?


I can be the racy woman who lights his soul on fire. I can be the sexy kitten who knows more than she lets on.


And it works :). I liked Heather, she was fun, especially when she was all in bossy mood. I think that in every girl, even in the most shiest and quietest ones, sleeps an "untamed beast" which only the right kind of guy can wake up. Tony was that kind of guy for Heather. I wouldn*t put him on my favorite book boyfriends of all time list, but he was sweet, understanding and he more than enjoyed this side of Heather- well, typical guy.

She was so sexy when she took control. The power wasn’t mine for a change and, I have to admit, I liked it. I liked it a lot.


She was stunning in her sexuality. Confident and completely in control of the situation…and me.

You like it when I’m bad, don’t you? That depends. Are we talking I’d need a paddle, or do you just mean sexy dirty fun?



I also liked that the story was a mix of both, Heather*s and Tony*s POVs, even though when reading his part I sometimes got that feeling: the author of this book is definitely a woman. Why? Well, for example, read this part of his pov:

Unable to quench my desire to kiss her, I lean closer and nuzzle her cheek. She turns her head to angle better and we lock lips, pouring our hearts into the connection. 

Pouring our hearts into the connection? Is it just me, but I really can*t imagine a guy thinking like that when kissing a woman xD. I can*t even imagine a girl thinking like that while kissing, lol. I don*t know, maybe the author was trying to be poetic/ romantic and most of the female readers will probably swoon over this part, but I guess that I*m not that kind of girl. Cheesy lines usually make me laugh or roll my eyes in the best case scenario. The rest of the story was kind of predictable and there was no bigger drama what I liked, but I wished we learned a bit more about the characters, well, more out of the bedroom. All in all, it was a fun, sit back & relax kind of story. It was an o.k. read IMO, but it didn't blow my mind like the rest of the readers. 

I’ve come a long way in the short time I’ve known Tony, from being a doormat to ordering a man to his knees. Before, I never would have been so bold, but now I know better—if something matters, you don’t let it go.

I swear, if someone had told me being a bossy bitch would score me love, I’d have done it ages ago.



My Rating:

3/5 STARS

 XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments, so feel free to write to us. We try to respond to every single one and to comment back on your blog, if you have one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...